What is the Workshop About?
In a small group setting, we will work through a variety of exercises and activities to explore career options, experience self-reflection and gain insights into career strategies and development.
Hosted by Vida Thomson and Sita MacMillan, this comprehensive full-day workshop will set you on the path to uncovering your true career goals. This workshop will help you to gain powerful insights and knowledge about yourself. You will develop a stronger sense of career direction, start to set career objectives and kickstart your career in the direction you want!
- Your Career In Chaos: Letting Go of "Traditional" Career Counselling
- Traditional career counselling typically starts in high school, and starts with completing career tests, attending college or university, and (hopefully) results in finding a job you love. However, reality (for most of us) doesn't always follow a linear path, and the average worker can expect to change jobs at least 12 times in their lifetime. Learn about the Chaos Theory of Careers and how it can help you manage your career path.
- Career Assessments: Myers Briggs Type Indicator and Career Values
- Gain insights into your true personality and your values to guide your career exploration. Learn more about these assessments and how to use them to understand your career preferences.
- Journaling to Discover Your Career Path
- With career expectations from parents, society and ourselves, it can be easy to lose track of what we really want to do with our lives. Sita will take you through a journaling exploration process to tap into your subconscious desires and gain an understanding of what you really want.
- Personal Branding: How to Market Yourself For Success
- Self-marketing is crucial in today's job search. Learn personal branding techniques to promote and sell your unique skill set in the marketplace.
We guarantee you'll learn something about yourself and your career, and will provide you with a variety of techniques and strategies to continue exploring your career preferences and desires to achieve your career goals.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Assessment & Specialized Career Report. (Find out more about Myers-Briggs here.
- Career Values Assessment & Detailed Report. (Learn more about the Career Values Scale here).
- A Journal for you to use and take home with you (no need to bring your own)
- Lunch, coffee, tea, and snacks to keep you energized and motivated!
What Results Can I Expect?
You will develop a stronger sense of career direction, start to set career objectives, and kick start your career in the direction you want! You'll also:
- Gain the ability to plan your career more effectively, including a new perspective on career development.
- Learn about journaling and self-reflection, and develop insight into your career goals and preferences.
- Learn self-marketing techniques and how to create a career action plan to work towards your ultimate goals!
Who Are We?
Vida is a Career Coach and the Founder of Flourish Career Consulting in Vancouver, BC. She has over 10 years of experience in Human Resources Management, including Recruitment & Interviews, Compensation, Training & Development, Employee Relations and Performance Management, along with a background in Professional Resume Writing.
She has a Bachelor of Arts in English, a Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Human Resources Management, along with the Certified Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) Designation. Additionally, she has obtained a Certificate in Social Media and Online Marketing, along with a Certificate in Psychometric Assessments from Yorkville University.
Email Vida About Vida
Sita-Rani MacMillan, M.Ed is an established facilitator who has been hosting numerous workshops on journaling for the past 8 years. These workshops have been presented across Canada to a wide audience with the focus on personal growth development through journaling.
Sita-Rani’s interests are working with individuals who are seeking change within their lives. As a past educator her passions have always been to help others and aid them in achieving their goals. Ms. MacMillan is currently working towards her first book and teaches workshops regularly in the South Okanagan.
Email Sita About Sita
What Makes This Workshop Unique?
We have combined Traditional Career Counselling, Journaling, and Chaos Career Theory into a one-day seminar that is guaranteed to help you kick start your career. Multiple approaches to career exploration, self-reflection, and planning will be used to help you understand your career interests, preferences, and potential goals in order to kick start your career in the right direction!
Chaos Theory of Careers
This approach applies Chaos Theory to the field of Career Development, in direct opposition to traditional approaches of choosing a career in high school, attending university, and graduating to a steady job.
The Chaos Theory of Careers Emphasizes:
- The Importance of Uncertainty in Career Planning
- The Influence of Chance Events on your Career
- How Open-Mindedness and Risk-Taking Can Help You Explore Career Options
Traditional Career Counselling
This approach emphasizes research, planning, and career assessments. We will examine two career assessments to gain a new perspective into your personality and values to inform your career decision making:
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
- Career Values Assessment
Journaling is the act of exploring our daily thoughts, activities and intentions on paper. We will discuss effective journaling strategies and examine our needs using Maslow's Hierarchy as a tool. This approach will allow us to examine the following career questions:
- What Do You Really Want From Your Career?
- Who Am I? (From a Career Perspective)
- What Does Success Look Like For Me?
- What Are My Goals?
- What Are My Career Needs?